It’s Official, J.J. Abrams Will Direct the Next Star Wars Film!Monday, January 28, 2013
Last week it was officially announced that filmmaker J.J. Abrams has been hired to direct Star Wars: Episode VII, with a tentative release date in 2015. Oscar-winning scriptwriter Michael Arndt, has been developing the film since October.
Abrams had initially told fans that he politely declined to take on the franchise, but former Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy persuaded Abrams to change his mind in early January after visiting him at the Santa Monica offices of his Bad Robot production company.
“It’s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,” said Kennedy. “J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.”
George Lucas went on to say of the fan-favorite director, “I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”
Abrams is thrilled to bring Star Wars back to the big screen. “To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor,” said the director.
As for what we can expect to see in the galaxy far, far away, Abrams stated, “I can just say what I want to do: I want to do the fans proud. I want to make sure the story is something that touches people. And we’re just getting started. I’m very excited.”